|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Saint Thomas' Protestant Episcopal Church, Richland County
(near jct. of U.S. Hwy. 601 & S.C. Hwy. 263, Eastover)
|Left Oblique||Right Oblique|| Left Rear
St. Thomas’ Protestant Episcopal Church is significant for its association with the mission work of the Protestant Episcopal Church among the black population of lower Richland County following the Civil War. Architecturally it is significant as an unusually intact late nineteenth century vernacular church building featuring influences of the Gothic Revival style. The interior is particularly noteworthy. Constructed in 1892-1983, St. Thomas’ Protestant Episcopal Church is a simple, one-story, frame church building displaying elements of the Gothic Revival style. Despite minor alterations, the church retains the ability to convey its historical and architectural significance. The fašade features a one-bay, gable-roofed porch supported by wooden posts. The rear elevation features a large tripartite lancet window flanked by smaller single lancet windows. The interior of the church features a ceiling with exposed beams and trusses and beaded-board wainscoting. The nominated acreage, which is located in an undeveloped area in the Sandhills, also contains the associated cemetery, site of St. Thomas’ Mission School, and a modern concrete parish house. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lower Richland County, ca. 1795-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.