|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Claudius Scott Cottage, Richland County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 1182, Eastover vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Rear Elevation||Porch Detail|
The Claudius Scott Cottage is significant architecturally as one of the few remaining intact antebellum cottages in lower Richland County. The Greek Revival mode cottage was built ca. 1840 by Claudius Scott. Scott and his business partner, James Trumble, supposedly built the railroad at Kingville, although no written credible evidence has been found to support this claim. They did in fact contract to construct a railroad trestle over the Wateree River. The cottage was built as a summer residence in the Sandhills of Richland County. Scott, like other local planters, hoped to escape the afflictions of malaria, prevalent in the bottom land areas along the Congaree and Wateree Rivers. It is one-story, frame residence with a stuccoed brick pier foundation, weatherboard siding, and a gable roof sheathed in sheet metal. The fašade is characterized by a small pedimented porch with four wooden pillars and a simple balustrade. There is a small frame addition on both the right and rear elevations. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lower Richland County, ca. 1795-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.