|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Goodwill Plantation, Richland County (off U.S. Hwy. 378, Eastover vicinity)
| Main House
| Main House
| Main House
|Overseer's House||Mill Building|
|Slave Cabin||Tennant House||Canal||Mill Pond||Lodge|
Goodwill Plantation is significant as a substantial portion of a large tract that was developed as a plantation beginning ca. 1795. Goodwill’s extant resources illustrate the many uses made of the plantation through almost two hundred years of changing social and economic conditions. Much of the plantation that became known as Goodwill was consolidated by Daniel Huger by ca. 1795. The earliest extant resources at Goodwill appear to be a millpond and a portion of the canal irrigation system (ca. 1827), one of the first attempts in the state to reclaim low-lying land for agricultural use. A modest, one-story, frame building known as the overseer’s house (ca. 1857) survives from the period of the Hugers. Edward Barnwell Heyward purchased Goodwill in 1858. During the Civil War, Richland County tax records indicate that several of Heyward’s relatives paid taxes on large numbers of slaves, but not on land. Apparently family slaves were sent to Goodwill from the family’s lowcountry plantations to wait out the war. It is estimated that as many as 976 slaves resided at Goodwill during the war. Extant resources from the Heyward’s occupation include a two-and-one-half-story frame mill building (ca. 1857-1870) and two slave cabins (ca. 1858). Other buildings include a blacksmith shop built after the Civil War, the main house constructed sometime in the late nineteenth century and a lodge constructed sometime between 1910 and 1935. Goodwill also contains a carriage house, tenant house, barn and corn crib. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lower Richland County, ca. 1795-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.