|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Good Hope Baptist Church, Richland County (U.S. Hwy. 378, Eastover vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Elevation|| Interior
Good Hope Baptist Church, located in the Sandhills of Richland County, is significant architecturally as one of the few remaining antebellum churches in lower Richland County. This frame, temple-form Greek Revival building, which retains its original slave gallery, began as a branch of Congaree Baptist Church, located eight miles to the south. It was reportedly constructed in 1857 by John McLauchlin, an active member of the Congaree church. At the 1857 meeting of the association, Congaree Church reported being “engaged in erecting a new house of worship,” and by the 1858 meeting, “had built a new church for convenience of distant poor and other members at their summer seat.” A two-story frame addition to the north dates from 1950 and repeats the materials and proportions of the original building. Situated on land given by James H. Seay, owner of Laurelwood, located a few hundred yards from the church, it was not organized as a separate church until 1866. While an independent body, Good Hope maintained close ties with Congaree Baptist, as they shared a minister, Charles Augustus Stiles, for many years, holding services on alternating Sundays. Good Hope Baptist Church remains active to the present time. The property also contains a cemetery where many of the church’s former members are buried. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lower Richland County, ca. 1795-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.