|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Farmers and Merchants Bank Building, Richland County (Main St., Eastover)
|Left Oblique||Right Oblique|
(Old Eastover Post Office) The Farmers and Merchants Bank Building is significant as a good example of early twentieth century commercial architecture. Designed by the Columbia architectural firm of Wilson and Sompayrac and constructed by Weston and Brooker in 1910, this building was planned as a multi-purpose building. It is a two-story, brick and cast-stone building with an angled corner entrance as its primary feature. In addition to the bank, accessed at the corner, the building housed the W. M. Hunt Furniture Store on its Main Street fašade. Between the two an open street entrance led upstairs to a doctor’s office and rental rooms for single men. Farmers and Merchants Bank was granted its charter of incorporation on April 12, 1910, and was established by Richard Singleton and Julian A. Byrd with $25,000 in capital. The bank remained chartered until June 22, 1954, when incorporation was cancelled. The bank had apparently ceased operations some time before that. It appears that Farmers and Merchants Bank survived both the boll weevil disaster of the late 1910s and early 1920s, and the early years of the Great Depression; however by 1937, the portion of the building occupied by the bank had become a post office and library. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lower Richland County, ca. 1795-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.