|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
J. A. Byrd Mercantile Store, Richland County (Main St., Eastover)
|Facade||Left Oblique|| 2nd Story
The J. A. Byrd Mercantile Store is significant both for its architecture and for its importance in the commercial history of this small rural town in lower Richland County. Constructed ca. 1910 as a general merchandise store for Julian A. Byrd, this building’s elegant fašade seems to indicate anticipated growth for Eastover, situated in a large cotton-producing area of the county. Growth was not sustained, however, for lower prices, bad crops, and the invasion of the boll weevil in 1917, brought depression to this and other agricultural areas of the state by 1922. While the Main Street elevation of the building is somewhat sophisticated for a town the size of Eastover, it illustrates the affluence of its owner and builder. In addition to being a leading merchant of Eastover, Byrd was influential in the founding of the Farmers and Merchants Bank located next door. The building’s fašade is elegantly composed in blond brick, marble, and cast stone. A three-bay arcade defines the first-floor retail hall; the second story has three tall windows with semicircular brick arches. Cast stone panels with garland motifs are place in the brickwork above the windows. Cast stone piers are located at the corners of the elevation, carrying the upper cornice, which consists of an egg and dart ovolo and simple fillet. A short parapet is above the cornice. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lower Richland County, ca. 1795-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.