|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Laurelwood, Richland County (Address Restricted)
|Facade|| Right Rear
Laurelwood is significant architecturally as one of the few remaining antebellum plantation houses in lower Richland County. Built in the Greek Revival mode with a two-story, pedimented portico featuring paneled piers, this house is said to have been constructed ca. 1830 by James H. Seay, cotton, corn and rice planter. In 1850, Seay owned 2,500 acres with 600 improved acres; however, by 1860 he had apparently divested himself of all but about 425 improved acres. A small portion of Seay’s acreage went to the Congaree Baptist Church, which constructed a church known as Good Hope, on the property near Laurelwood. The two-story frame building has a typical central-hall, double-pile plan, with interior chimneys. The fašade features a two-tier, pedimented porch spanning the three central bays. The porch has paneled piers and a simple balustrade. The rear elevation originally had a two-story porch similar to the fašade porch. This was removed in the twentieth century, and a one-story, frame addition built in its place. Most of the original woodwork is intact in the house. Two historic outbuildings are located on the property. A frame smokehouse is to the southeast of the house and a frame barn is to the northeast. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lower Richland County, ca. 1795-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.