|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Keziah Goodwyn Hopkin Brevard House, Richland County (Address Restricted)
(Alwehav) The Keziah Goodwyn Hopkins Brevard House, known commonly as Alwehav since ca. 1904, is located in the Sandhills of Lower Richland County. The property has architectural significance as an example of a ca. 1850 vernacular Greek Revival residence with Italianate features. The Brevard House illustrates the transition of a planter’s residence from a one-and-one-half-story Sandhills cottage to a large, two-story year-round residence. The cottage was built by James Hopkins ca. 1820. It now appears as a rear extension with porch. His daughter, Keziah Goodwyn Hopkins Brevard moved into the house with her husband, Joseph Brevard, sometime after 1840. After her husband’s death, Keziah significantly enlarged her home to its present size and appearance. The nominated property includes a number of outbuildings. The remnants of a water tower, believed to have been installed ca. 1908, are adjacent to the building. There are several associated structures to the southeast of the house, including a frame stable, a barn, three frame sheds, a well, and four modern shed buildings. The grounds are well developed and landscaped. Botanical specimens on the property, attributed to Keziah and subsequent owner Caroline Adams LeConte, include such species as Feijoa, Tung tree, Varnish tree, the Magnolia Macrophylla, or Umbrella tree, and the very unusual Magnolia Pyramidata. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Lower Richland County, ca. 1795-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.