|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Chappell House, Richland County (Address Restricted)
|Facade|| Left Rear
The Chappell House, which is believed to have been constructed ca. 1830, is a significant example of the vernacular farmhouses that defined much of the state’s rural landscape in the nineteenth century. The late Federal style building has a quarried stone foundation, weatherboard sheathing, and a shingled gable roof. It has a central-hall, single-pile plan, a house type (“I-House”) ubiquitous for the period and region. The house is remarkably intact. The construction technology evident in the house is a valuable source on the tools and techniques available in the era. The careful craftsmanship evident in the foundations, the fanlights, and the interior woodwork indicates a builder of considerable skill and a client of some means, while the pedimented porch suggests a degree of sophistication or stylistic awareness. The rear of the building originally had a one-story shed-roofed porch and a nearby detached kitchen building. Around the turn of the twentieth century, the porch was enclosed and the kitchen building connected to the house by infill construction. Although the builder and original owner is unknown, the property has been in the Chappell family since 1880. The property includes four outbuildings: a frame barn, two frame sheds, and a dilapidated frame chicken house. Listed in the National Register March 27, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.