South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

303 Saluda Avenue, Richland County (Columbia)
S1081774006601 S1081774006602 S1081774006603 S1081774006604 S1081774006605
Facade Main Entrance Left Oblique Left Elevation Left Rear

(John C. Heslep House) The house at 303 Saluda Avenue is a significant example of the Spanish Colonial Revival style of architecture, a style that flourished in the southern United States from 1915 to 1935. The house was built ca. 1917 as a two-story brick residence. John C. Heslep, the contractor who built the old Richland County Courthouse and the Columbia Township Auditorium, drastically remodeled and rebuilt the house for himself in 1927-1928. Heslep gutted the building and, with the assistance of Columbia stoneworker George Marquardt, rebuilt it in the Spanish Colonial style. The house has the low-pitched tile roof, the coarse stucco walls, the cast iron balconies, the wooden lookout rafters in the eaves, the asymmetrical composition, and the elaborate entrances associated with the Spanish Colonial Revival. The stonework by Marquardt, especially the entrance, the two carved mantelpieces, and the dining room arcade, is of exceptional quality. A one-story guesthouse is the only outbuilding. Listed in the National Register May 24, 1982.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.