|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Palmetto Building, Richland County (1400 Main St., Columbia)
| Lower Facade
| Upper Facade
|Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Copper Cornice
| Entablature Detail
Constructed from 1912 to 1913 for the Palmetto National Bank, the Palmetto Building has an imposing fašade of limestone and terra cotta, with an ornate copper cornice. An excellent example of an early twentieth century skyscraper sheathed in Gothic Revival detail, the Palmetto Building is probably unique in its uses of a palmetto tree motif in Gothic detailing. The tallest building in Columbia when constructed, the fifteen story building rises 215 feet. The Columbia firm of Wilson & Sompayrac assisted the architect, Julius Harder of New York. The cost of the building exclusive of land was $420,000. The building which is U-shaped in plan has decorative facades on the south and west only; the north and east sides are faced in brick. The cotton boll and leaf, corn and vines also appear in the decoration. Eight bays total along the street facades feature highly decorated Tudor arches with points terminating in palmetto trees which fill spandrel panels between second floor windows. Flanking two of the entrances are original light fixtures in medieval mode. The rectangular windows of the thirteenth and fourteenth floors have copper surrounds and spandrels and are set in terra cotta Tudor arches similar to those at the base. The bays are flanked by piers composed of foliage and tree colonettes. An ornate overhanging copper cornice and a stone parapet top the building. Listed in the National Register November 25, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.