|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Canal Dime Savings Bank, Richland County (1530 Main St., Columbia)
|Facade||Main Entrance|| Carved
Columbia’s only surviving example of the Richardson Romanesque style of architecture, the Canal Dime Savings Bank building was constructed sometime between 1892 and 1895. The unaltered second and third floor fašade is typical of the nineteenth century style with rough cut granite, rounded arches, and an asymmetrical design with a heavy sculptural quality. The architectural firm of W. B. Smith Whaley and Company designed the building at 1530 Main Street for the Canal Dime Savings Bank. The design could be the work of either Whaley, a prominent Columbia architect, builder and cotton industrialist, or his partner, Gadsden E. Shand. Subsequently owned by the Loan and Exchange Bank of South Carolina, the State Bank and Trust Company, and the People’s Bank of Columbia, the building was acquired by Eckerd’s Drug Store in 1936. It is a three-story brick building with a granite fašade and red barrel tile roof. The building’s first floor, totally altered after 1936, originally featured a slightly projecting arched doorway with a high entablature on its right side. Listed in the National Register November 25, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.