South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Gervais Street Bridge, Richland County (over the Congaree River, Columbia)
S1081774005901 S1081774005902 S1081774005903 S1081774005904 S1081774005905
Bridge Bridge Span Bridge

One of four open spandrel arch bridges of reinforced concrete in South Carolina, the Gervais Street Bridge spans the Congaree River and links Columbia to the western and southern parts of the state. At the time of its construction, begun in February 1926 and completed in June 1928, the bridge had the widest roadway in the state. From 1928 until 1953, the Gervais Street Bridge was the only Columbia Congaree River bridge and is the earliest and most decorative of the three bridges that now cross the river. The site historically has served bridges and ferries. Ferry service was first replaced about 1791 by a toll bridge. A subsequent wooden bridge completed about 1827 was burned in 1865 to delay General W. T. Sherman’s army. The rebuilt bridge was privately owned until 1912 when it was purchased by Richland County in cooperation with Lexington County. The 1415-foot reinforced concrete bridge was constructed by Hardaway Contracting Company of Columbus, Georgia. It cost $597,167 to construct. The bridge was designed by Joseph W. Barnwell of Charleston, bridge engineer for the State Highway Department. Above the flanking balustrades on the bridge are cast iron light fixtures. The decorative fixtures have the letter C and a palmetto on the bases, a vine pattern on the eight-sided post, and an acanthus leaf design on the necking. Listed in the National Register November 25, 1980.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.