South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Lutheran Theological Seminary Building: Beam Dormitory, Richland County (4201 Main St., Columbia)
S1081774005701 S1081774005702 S1081774005703 S1081774005704
Facade Left Elevation Right Elevation Rear Elevation

Designed by architect Charles M. Robinson, and with Wise Granite Co. as contractors, Beam Dormitory was built in 1911 as the first building at the Columbia location of the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary Campus. Since its construction, the Seminary has played an important part in the religious and educational history of Columbia and has made the city a major center for the Lutheran Church. The Lutheran Seminary had its inception in 1830 and subsequently went through a variety of locations until a decision was made to construct a permanent campus in Columbia. Beam Dormitory was the first structure to be constructed at the Columbia location and was designed for use as classrooms, dormitory, library and chapel. Constructed of granite with a gable roof, the three-story Gothic Revival Beam Dormitory features a central recessed rectangular core with projecting end pavilions. Central castellated entrance pavilions are located on both the front and rear facades. These pavilions feature front and side arches and are surmounted by a flat roof with crenellated parapets. Changes in the original structure include removal of a wooden octagonal cupola in the 1950s, replacement of the end pavilion gable oculi glass with wooden louvers; replacement of the original slate roof with composition shingles in the 1940s, and the dismantling of chimney stacks when central heat replace the old furnace in the 1950s. Listed in the National Register August 28, 1979

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.