South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Zimmerman School, Richland County (1336 Pickens St., Columbia)
S1081774005401 S1081774005402 S1081774005403 S1081774005404 S1081774005405
Facade Eastern
Projecting
Wing
Main Entrance Right Elevation Right Rear
Oblique
S1081774005406        
Left Elevation

The Zimmerman House and School are significant for their associations with the Female Academy operated in Columbia by Charles and Hannah Zimmerman between 1848 and 1870. The Zimmermans were German immigrants and apparently built both structures around 1848. Both structures are also significant as examples of well-proportioned Greek Revival design. The Zimmerman School is located directly north of the Zimmerman House. Its main fašade faces south, toward the Zimmerman house. The school is a small one-story clapboard building with a gable roof situated at a right angle to the street. The entrance door is situated at the eastern (right) end of the south fašade and features a fanlight and sidelights. A slightly projecting wing is located at the very eastern end. Charles and Hannah Zimmerman opened the Zimmerman Female Institute at this site in 1848. Woman at the school took courses in reading, orthography, writing, grammar, arithmetic, geography, history, philosophy, music, English, Latin, French, German and other subjects. After Dr. Zimmerman’s death in 1867, Hannah continued to run the school as “Mrs. Zimmerman’s Female Institution” until her death in 1870. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.