|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
U.S. Courthouse, Richland County (1100 Laurel St., Columbia)
|Facade||Main Entrance||Left Oblique||Left Elevation|| Left Rear
| Right Rear
|Right Elevation||Window Detail|
The United States Courthouse was designed in 1936 by Harold Tatum, a graduate of the School of Architecture of the University of Pennsylvania and one of the few trained architects to practice in Columbia during the 1930s. The Court House is a notable example of classic Renaissance Revival architecture. The structure is also significant for its use of poured monolithic concrete as a major building material. Although poured monolithic concrete is often used for buildings with plain linear designs, it is unusual for this method of construction to be used on structures with the kind of intricate detailing that characterizes the Renaissance Revival style. The Court House was built to house the United States District Court of Eastern South Carolina, the offices of the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Justice and the United States District Attorney. The structure features a rusticated ground level, rusticated quoins, smooth walls and trabeated fenestration accented with pediments of various types. The central bay is detailed with Ionic fluted pilasters that support an entablature and plain pediment. The building consists of a full basement, three full floors, and partial fourth and fifth floors. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.