|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
1644 Main St., Richland County (Columbia)
|Lower Facade||Upper Facade||Right Elevation||Left Oblique||Left Elevation|
(Tapp’s Department Store) Tapp’s represents one of Columbia’s most significant large-scale private building projects from the Depression era that remains relatively unaltered. The white stucco and dark tremolite stone facade is characteristic of the most up-to-date modern style in 1940, the building’s date of construction. The building has little ornamentation except vertical bands of windows, a clock face and a sign with a large freestanding letters. Added onto about 1950, the additional two floors are also of white stucco over concrete. As the only example of “Depression Modern” on Main Street, the building contributes to the continuum of architectural styles on the street. The central section originally extended higher than the two flanking sections; with the ca. 1950 additions, however, the roofline was made uniform. The original roofline is still discernible in stucco. E. Paul Behles of New York City designed the interior and acted as consulting architect to Lafaye, Lafaye, and Fair of Columbia for the design of the exterior. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.