|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Alston House, Richland County (1811 Gervais St., Columbia)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Rear Elevation|| Right Rear
(McDuffie’s Antiques) Built ca. 1872, this building is important for its association with early African American business people in Columbia. Possibly as early as 1875 and definitely by 1895, the Alston House was used as a residence and dry goods store by Carolina Alston. Alston, a prosperous businesswoman, was one of only twenty-five black business people operating in the Columbia area in the late 1800s. In 1906, Alston sold the building to L. M. Keitt, an African American businessman, who operated a grocery store on the site. Following Keitt’s ownership, the property passed through a series of owners until 1946 when it became McDuffie’s Antiques. This one-story clapboard Greek Revival cottage set on brick foundations features a gable roof with two interior chimneys, a centrally located doorway with transom and sidelights, and early nineteenth century ironwork on the front of the building. A small one-story addition extends in an ell from the rear of the building. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.