|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
McCord House, Richland County (1431 Pendleton St., Columbia)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|| Left Rear
This Greek Revival residence was constructed in 1849 by David James and Louisa Cheves McCord. David McCord (1797-1855) was a planter, lawyer and editor. A leading political activist during the Nullification crisis, McCord was editor of the Telescope, a leading Nullification newspaper. During his varied career, McCord served as Intendent of Columbia, state legislator and president of the Bank of South Carolina. Louisa McCord (1810-1879) was a noted author of political and economic essays, poetry and drama. During the Civil War she served as nursing director of the Confederate Hospital located adjacent to her home in the South Carolina College. Her home on Pendleton Street became the central depot, where people from all over Columbia brought food to feed the patients of the hospital. Each day the ambulatory patients came to the McCord House to be fed. In 1865, when General William T. Sherman’s troops entered Columbia, the McCord House became the headquarters of General O. O. Howard, who was Sherman’s second in command. Although looted and twice set on fire, the house was saved by the presence of General Howard. Built by slave labor, the core of this Greek Revival residence is a one-and-one-half story clapboard cottage built over a stuccoed raised basement. Set on four stuccoed piers, a one-story portico features sawn balusters, a central entrance with sidelights and transom, and four paneled piers which support a flushboard pediment with oculus. Additions were built in the 1850s by the McCords. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.