|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Logan School, Richland County (815 Elmwood Ave., Columbia)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|| Left Rear
|Main Entrance|| Decorative
Named for Charles Mercer Logan, who in 1904 gave four acres of land and $40,000 to the City of Columbia to use for a school, Logan School was erected in 1913 and enlarged according to the architect’s original plans in 1915. In 1918, Logan had 925 students, the largest student body of the six Columbia schools. Designed by Wilson and Sompayrac, a Columbia firm, the three-story brick building was described as “Italian Renaissance” in a contemporary account by the architect, Charles C. Wilson. The school represents a good example of a well-built early 20th century institutional building. The symmetrical fašade features design motifs from earlier architectural periods. Fašade material is red brick ornamented with colored tile. The belt-course, cornice and copings are of limestone. A centrally located main entrance is flaked by limestone three quarter round columns and surmounted by a limestone arch containing the seal of the city in white marble. In plan, classrooms surround two open courtyards with an auditorium between the two. The site of the school is significant, having been part of a larger tract used for the State Fair Grounds from 1859 until 1903. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.