|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
B. B. Kirkland Seed and Distributing Company, Richland County (912 Lady St., Columbia)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Window Detail
(Hinson Feed and Seed Company) Tradition indicates that the Hinson Feed and Seed Store is located on the site of an early campground used by farmers when they brought their produce to the farmer’s market on Assembly Street. The campground was located on the site because of three natural springs in the area; one of these natural springs is still located in the basement. The building itself was constructed by B. B. Kirkland to serve the Kirkland Distributing Company, a firm which dealt in flour, grain and hay. It later housed a variety of businesses until 1966 when it became Hinson Feed and Seed Company, which also operated the Columbia Hatchery. Typical of the best commercial structures constructed in the warehouse and distributing area near Assembly Street, this building was built circa 1916. The brick structure has three stories built over a full basement. It features a flat roof, stringcourses that delineate the three floors, decorative marble and stone insets and arched windows on the first and third floors. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.