|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Heslep House, Richland County (203 Saluda Ave., Columbia)
Built about 1927, the Heslep-Bernardin House was constructed by J.C. Heslep, a prominent Columbia contractor. The most elaborate of the Spanish Mission Revival style structures in Columbia, the orate two-story stuccoed house features round-headed windows, arches, balconies, sun decks, a square tower, sculptural portal and barrel tile roof. The main entrance is on the left of the house and has an elaborate sculptural surround. The tower features spiral colonettes and combined quatrefoil. The barrel tile roof tops the house, tower, and chimney. Heslep was also contractor for the Richland County Courthouse and the 1925 alterations to the First Presbyterian Church in Columbia. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.