|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Ensor-Keenan House, Richland County (801 Wildwood Ave., Columbia)
|Facade||Porch Detail|| Front Stair
| Left Rear
The Ensor-Keenan House is significant as one of the few structures in Columbia with Italianate influences. It is also significant as the home of Dr. Joshua Fulton Ensor. Dr. Ensor came to Columbia following the Civil War and in 1870 became the second medical superintendent of the State Asylum (South Carolina State Hospital). He later served as postmaster of Columbia and was an active leader in the State’s Republican Party. Located on a large secluded estate in the Eau Claire section of Columbia, the most distinguishing feature of the one and one-half story house is a central projecting pavilion with a steeply pitched hipped roof. The pavilion also features a window with an arch, as well as brackets along its cornice. Flanking this projection are large gables, each featuring a 6/6 window with louvered shutters and an arched panel above. The one-story porch supported by slender columns extends across the fašade. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.