|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel, Richland County (1301 Richland St., Columbia)
|Left Oblique||West Tower|| Window Detail
|Right Oblique|| Window Detail
| Right Rear
|Rear Elevation|| Left Rear
Located on the site of the first Lutheran church in Columbia, Ebenezer Lutheran Chapel was constructed in 1870 and extensively renovated in 1900. It was designed by Columbia architect Gustav Theodore Berg and remodeled by the Columbia architectural firm of Wilson and Edwards. The church features a front fašade in Flemish bond brick with glazed headers flanked by two square towers and finely detailed ca. 1900 art glass windows. Centered in the front fašade is a large stained glass Palladian window. Brick pilasters with terra cotta capitals are featured on each corner of the front fašade. The interior of the church is notable for its intricate pressed metal ceiling, its chancel area and organ platform which retains its turned balustrade. Alterations to the chapel have consisted of the removal of the pews and pulpit, and the removal of the balustrade and cupola which originally crowned each of the two towers. Located directly adjacent to the churchyard is a Lutheran cemetery which dates from the early 1800s. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.