|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Consolidated Building, Richland County (1326-1330 Main St., Columbia)
|Facade||Main Entrance||Second Story||Cornice Detail|
Designed by J. Carroll Johnson for the Consolidated Holding Company, the Consolidated Building was erected about 1912. It is believed that a portion of the building dates back to at least 1900. The architect was a principal in the Columbia firm of Urquhart and Johnson, who also designed other notable buildings in Columbia, including Columbia High School, the Seibels-Wilson House and both Sloan College and the Administration Building on the University of South Carolina campus. The building’s intricately detailed glazed and colored terra cotta fašade is unique in Columbia. The first floor has been altered. A central entrance between storefronts is flanked by decorative panels and is surmounted by a bull’s eye window. The second floor has seven bays, the central bay is a tripartite round-headed window that previously afforded access to the original balcony, since removed. On either side are three closely spaced round-headed windows with elaborate trim. On the far sides of the building are colonettes with a geometric design. An elaborate decorative frieze features fleur-de-lis motif with an overhanging section with trefoils. The parapet contains the word “Consolidated” and pierced quatrefoils. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979. It has since been significantly altered.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.