|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
1210-1214 Main Steet, Richland County (Columbia)
|Facade||Balcony Detail|| Balcony Entrance
(Capitol Café) The Capitol Café building is the best surviving example of the Victorian commercial structures that once lined Columbia’s Main Street. The symmetrical second floor façade with cast iron balcony and window and door surround, is characteristic of late nineteenth century architecture. Located one block away from the State House, the Capitol Café has been in the building since 1913 and is well known locally as a meeting place for legislators. Believed to have been built shortly after the War Between the States, the building was completed by 1871, although the existing double façade may have been joined after this date. Storefronts of the two story stuccoed façade have been remodeled. The segmentally arched windows have cast iron sills and cornices and the doors have identical cast iron surrounds. A balcony with cast iron railing extends across central three bays. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.