|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Woodrow Memorial Presbyterian Church, Richland County (2221 Washington St., Columbia)
|Facade||Main Entrance||Left Oblique||Right Elevation|| Window Detail
| Right Rear
| Eave Detail
(Bishop’s Memorial A.M.E Church) The Bishop’s Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Church was constructed in 1907-1908 as the Woodrow Memorial Presbyterian Church. The church was built under the aegis of Columbia’s First Presbyterian Church as a memorial to Dr. James Woodrow (1828-1907), an important figure in Columbia’s religious and educational life. Woodrow was a professor at the Columbia (Presbyterian) Theological Seminary whose stand in favor of teaching evolution at the seminary caused a major upheaval in the Presbyterian Church of the United States in the 1880s. Debates before state synods resulted in a request for his resignation as a professor of natural sciences. In 1886 after Woodrow’s refusal to resign, the denomination’s General Assembly voted to dismiss him. Following the loss of this teaching position, Woodrow became President of the Central National Bank of Columbia until 1891 when he was appointed President of South Carolina College (later University of South Carolina). Woodrow Memorial Church served as a Presbyterian congregation until about 1924. In 1929, due to the growing African American population in the Waverly section of Columbia, the church became the Salters Memorial A.M.E. Church and in 1943 the name was changed to Bishop’s Memorial A.M.E. Church. Architecturally significant, the church is a well-built early twentieth century brick structure notable for the refined proportions of its interior detailing, and its exterior entablature and apsidal end. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Columbia includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.