South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Columbia City Hall, Richland County (Main & Laurel Sts., Columbia)
S1081774002801 S1081774002802 S1081774002803 S1081774002804 S1081774002805
Right Oblique Left Oblique Window Detail
with Pediment
Eave Detail
and Entablature
with Modillions
Moulding Detail
S1081774002806 S1081774002807      
Moulding Detail

(Old United States Courthouse and Post Office) The Old Court House and Post Office is one of the most impressive buildings in Columbia commanding a prominent position on upper Main Street. Designed in 1870 by Alfred B. Mullett, it is a superb example of Renaissance Revival architecture. In 1865, Mullett was appointed to the office of United States Supervising Architect where he remained for fifteen years. In this capacity he designed post office buildings for the cities of Boston, New York, Philadelphia and others. He also designed the United States Mint Building in San Francisco and the south wing of the Treasury Department in Washington, D.C. The Columbia Post Office is well designed and executed. The smooth beige Fairfield County granite walls contrast with richly carved decorative elements to create a strong three-dimensional effect. The building has housed various functions of national or city government for nearly a hundred years. Inside its walls have operated the court system, postal business, internal revenue services, and, since 1937, the building has contained offices used by the city government. Aside from the State House, it is the oldest government building in Columbia. Listed in the National Register June 19, 1973.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.