|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Preston C. Lorick House, Richland County (1727 Hampton St., Columbia)
|Facade||Right Oblique|| Right Oblique
Built by Algernon Sidney Johnson before 1840, and remodeled in the late 1800s, the Preston C. Lorick House is significant as a handsome example of early Victorian architecture. Governor John Lawrence Manning owned the house during his term of office from 1852-1854. Manning is noted for his refusal to pardon white men convicted of slave murder and for his stately country house, Milford, nicknamed “Manning’s Folly.” The house was bought by Preston C. Lorick in April of 1877. Lorick planned and maintained a garden that was the object of public admiration. The house was originally two-stories with a gable roof, columned portico and French windows on the front and sides of first floor. In the late 1800s, the Lorick House was redone in the Victorian style. The portico was extended to a full porch encircling the front and sides. Fancy brackets were added under all eaves, as was gingerbread work at gable ends and triangular molding over the side and upper story windows. The porch has a gingerbread balustrade with turned columns featuring unusual patterned gingerbread tops. Original plants and trees (with magnolias and oak well over 100 years old) enhance the gardens to the front and west of the house. Listed in the National Register February 23, 1972.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.