|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Arsenal Hill, Richland County (1800 Lincoln St., Columbia)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|
(Palmetto Iron Works and Armory) Significant as one of Columbia’s early manufacturing concerns, the Palmetto Iron Works was built in 1850 by William Glaze and a Mr. Boatwright for making ornamental iron works. It became known as the Palmetto Armory in 1851 when the State of South Carolina contracted with William Glaze and Company to manufacture specific numbers of muskets, rifles, pistols, cavalry sabers and artillery swords. This manufacture of military weapons from 1851-1853 helped to supply the South Carolina Militia for the Civil War. By Gen. Sherman’s February 16, 1865 Field Order No. 26 the Armory smokestacks were damaged beyond repair and all machinery destroyed. After the Civil War, George A. Shields rebuilt the foundry and by 1888 directed a thriving business that continued into the twentieth century. The remaining walls of the original main three-story building were used in the rebuilding. The third story, cornice, parapet, and dome of the original building were replaced by a gabled tin roof. Bought by the City of Columbia in 1942, it has been adaptively reused as a community center. The Palmetto Iron Works and Armory are also called “Arsenal Hill,” a name associated with this section since the days when the old arsenal stood nearby. Listed in the National Register November 23, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.