|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Columbia Historic District II, Richland County (Columbia)
| Robert Mills
1616 Blanding St.
1615 Blanding St.
|1534 Blanding St.||1528 Blanding St.||1531 Blanding St.|
|1527 Blanding St.||1517 Blanding St.|| Episcopal Church
of the Good
1512 Blanding St.
1502 Blanding St.
|1430 Blanding St.|
| St. Paul's
1425 Blanding St.
|1327 Blanding St.|| 1321 Blanding St.
|1315 Blanding St.||1330 Laurel St.|
|1331 Laurel St.||1400 Laurel St.|| DeBruhl-Marshall
1401 Laurel St.
|1404 Laurel St.||1410 Laurel St.|
|1422 Laurel St.||1508 Laurel St.||1511 Laurel St.||1512 Laurel St.||1517 Laurel St.|
|Page 1 of 4|
The Columbia Historic District II is a collection of 113 properties located in the northeast quadrant of the original city of Columbia. The majority of the buildings in the district were constructed as residences; however, many of them are now used for commercial purposes. The district also contains several religious properties. Most of the buildings in the district were constructed between the early nineteenth century and the 1930s; approximately fifty percent were built between 1900 and 1918. The district includes a wide diversity of representative architectural types and styles including Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, Victorian, Neo-Classical, Bungalow, and Four-Square. In addition, the Columbia Historic District II contains houses associated with numerous prominent citizens of Columbia, and residences and churches reflecting various aspects of the history of the city. The neighborhoods of the district have developed around the pivotal buildings, the antebellum landmarks and the churches, in an ordered, consistent pattern. The consistency of scale, building setbacks, and landscaping create a sense of cohesiveness and unity in the district. Diverse materials (stone, brick, molded concrete block, wood) have been used with continued mutual co-existence establishing the district’s integrity. The modern intrusions within the district have generally been controlled by city zoning laws reducing their impact on the historic character of the district. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971; Boundary increase June 28, 1982.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Columbia Historic District II.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
View the complete text of the nomination form for the boundary increase of this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.