South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Horry-Guignard House, Richland County (1527 Senate St., Columbia)
S1081774001501 S1081774001502 S1081774001503 S1081774001504 S1081774001505
Facade Left Oblique Right Oblique Rear Elevation Porch Detail

The Horry-Guignard House is significant as one of the oldest houses in Columbia and as a fine architectural example of Columbia’s beginnings in an area which is now a governmental and cultural center. It was built before 1813, probably by Peter Horry, a colonel in the Revolution and a brigadier general of the South Carolina Militia. Later, it was the home of John Gabriel Guignard, Surveyor General of South Carolina from 1798 to 1802, who laid out the plan for Columbia’s streets. During the winter of 1813-1814, a decision was made to widen the hall from six to eleven feet across. In order to do so, the house was sawed in two pieces and pulled apart to rest on new foundations. The two-story, late Federal style, modified I-House type dwelling features rabbit edged siding, a hip roof and interior chimneys and is five bays wide and three bays deep. A one-story balustraded porch runs the width of the house and is supported by square columns. The shutters on the front windows are unusual in that the top half is paneled and the lower half is louvered. The property also contains an outbuilding of undetermined origin. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.