|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Kensington Plantation House, Richland County (off S.C. Hwy. 764, Eastover vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation|
|Main Entrance|| Outbuilding
Construction of the Kensington Plantation House began in 1851 and was completed in 1853. Its builder, Colonel Richard Singleton, was a wealthy planter of cotton. His sister was Angelica Singleton Van Buren, daughter-in-law and hostess of President Martin Van Buren in the White House. The design is unique in its predominantly Italianate elaboration wedged into a plain farmhouse. In ways, this juxtaposition can be seen as reflecting Singleton, and others like him in South Carolina’s ante-bellum era. Born in a world totally dependent upon agriculture, Singleton sought the luxury and some of the pretense of great wealth in the international sense. Kensington presents contrasts between the avant-garde and the very insular. In feeling, Kensington is a plain South Carolina farmhouse wrapped around an ambitious central section. The central portion of the building is domed with a copper roof surmounted by an iron balustrade. The central portion is flanked by lower wings that have arched colonnades. On the land front is a porte-cochere with arches and pilasters in the Corinthian style with restrained animals motifs. The house is wood, set upon a raised brick basement. The principal hall reaches two-and-one-half stories up to the dome, which contains a skylight of glass. A balcony surrounds the hall at the second floor level. Listed in the National Register January 25, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.