|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Washington Street United Methodist Church, Richland County (1401 Washington St., Columbia)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Main Entrance||Window Detail||Tower Detail|
Washington Street United Methodist Church is one of Columbia’s four most historic churches. Organized in 1803, the congregation built a frame church that was the first house of worship in Columbia. A brick structure built in 1830s burned in 1865. According to legend, the church was destroyed by Union soldiers looking for First Baptist Church, site of the first meeting of South Carolina secession convention, and were directed here by a Baptist sexton. A small chapel built of brick salvaged from ruins was replaced by the present church that was erected with funds collected throughout the nation. Completed in 1872, the Washington Street Church is a red brick Victorian Gothic church with double-shouldered buttresses and a large arched center entrance with double doors flanked by similar arched entrances. The church features a fully developed tower with a steeple on the left side of the front fašade with matching lines extending to the roofline on the right. Both towers are topped with four pinnacles with unusual crown-shaped ornaments, giving the appearance of Islamic influence. Stained glass windows depict life of Christ without using human figures. Listed in the National Register December 18, 1970.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.