South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

University of South Carolina Old Campus District, Richland County (Columbia)
S1081774000501 S1081774000502 S1081774000503 S1081774000504 S1081774000505
Flinn Hall South Caroliniana
Elliot College Harper College McCutchen House
S1081774000506 S1081774000507 S1081774000508 S1081774000509 S1081774000510
Rutledge College President's
Pinckney College Leiber House
S1081774000511 S1081774000512 S1081774000513    
Longstreet Theater
Horseshoe Common Maxcy Monument

(University of South Carolina Historic District) Chartered in 1801 as South Carolina College, opened 1805, and re-chartered as University of South Carolina in 1865, the institution reflects the ambitions and fortunes of the state. A tree-shaded quadrangle centers the Old Campus District. The buildings bordering the quadrangle present balanced grouping and harmony of design, austere simplicity of early Republican architecture. A brick wall erected in 1835 surrounds them. Landmarks include Rutledge College (ca. 1805) and Maxcy Monument (ca. 1827), both designed by Robert Mills; DeSaussure College (1809), designed by Edward Clark; South Caroliniana Library (ca.1840), the oldest separate college library building in the United States; and the Gymnasium, designed by Jacob Graves in 1855 as a chapel. There are over twenty other contributing campus institutional buildings and numerous contributing landscape features. Listed in the National Register June 5, 1970.

View a map showing the boundaries of the University of South Carolina Old Campus District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.