|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
South Carolina Governor's Mansion, Richland County (800 Richland St., Columbia)
|Facade||Porch Detail||Right Oblique||Left Oblique|
Militarily, educationally, and politically significant, the South Carolina Governor’s Mansion has played an integral part in the state’s history since its construction in 1855. The white stucco building with a flat roofline and low parapet was originally built as the officer’s quarters for Arsenal Academy, one of two South Carolina military schools. The academy was forced to close because of the Civil War. The mansion was the only main building of the Arsenal Academy complex to survive when most of the city of Columbia burned down in 1865. In 1868, the spacious house was designated the executive mansion of South Carolina. Most all South Carolina governors since 1868 have resided in the mansion with the exception of two that occupied their own homes within the city of Columbia. A number of national dignitaries, including President Franklin D. Roosevelt, have been guests at the mansion. The mansion’s simple architectural style possesses great integrity and the extensive gardens are fine examples of landscape architecture. Much of the landscaping improvement and the addition of the walled, brick-paved courtyard was done during the term of Governor Donald Russell (1963-65). Listed in the National Register June 5, 1970.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.