|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hester Store, Pickens County (1735 Hester Store Rd., Easley vicinity)
|Facade||Front Entrance||Main Doors||Left Oblique||Left Elevation|
|Rear Elevation||Right Elevation|| Interior
Hester Store, built in 1893, is significant as an important example of a country store and mercantile business in the South Carolina Piedmont, one that operated from the last decade of the nineteenth century until the late twentieth century. The Hester Store conveys a significant connection between local farmers in the Dacusville community and the larger agricultural economy of the state. Rural country stores like the Hester Store served as important sources of supplies and credit for farmers and were vital links in the agricultural economy in the decades after the Civil War and through the Great Depression. For many years the store served not only as a place of business, but also as a central meeting place within the Dacusville community. A typical rural example of a commercial gable-front building, Hester Store was the centerpiece of the Hester family's holdings, which included a large farm, saw mill, cotton gin, and grist mill. The Hester family first settled in the Dacusville community in 1813. Michael Washington Hester (1854-1920), one of the many grandsons of the family patriarch, who was involved in both commerce and agriculture, built the store in 1893. Constructed with a steeply pitched, V-crimp metal clad roof, the two-story, weatherboard-clad store features a roughly square-cut ashlar granite facade and a full-width, single story, porch at grade supported by granite pillars. The granite fašade and portico were added in 1933. Listed in the National Register February 5, 2013.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.