South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Williams-Ligon House, Pickens County (1866 Farrs Bridge Road, Easley)
S1081773902501 S1081773902502 S1081773902503 S1081773902504 S1081773902505
Facade Left Oblique Left Elevation Right Rear Elevation Left Rear Elevation
S1081773902506 S1081773902507 S1081773902508 S1081773902509 S1081773902510
Right Elevation Original Well Interior
Main Entrance
Interior
Living Room
Mantel
Interior
Front Bedroom
Mantel
S1081773902511 S1081773902512 S1081773902513 S1081773902514 S1081773902515
Interior
Door Surround
Detail
Outbuilding
Smokehouse
Outbuilding
ca. 1875 Barn
Outbuilding
ca. 1955 Barn
Outbuilding
ca. 1955 Barn
S1081773902516 S1081773902517 S1081773902518 S1081773902519  
Outbuilding
ca. 1935 Chicken
Brooding House
Outbuilding
ca. 1940 Garage
Outbuilding
ca. 1955 Milking House
Historic Photo
1947

The Williams-Ligon House is significant as an intact farm complex and landscape that conveys farm practices from the early and mid-twentieth century intended to promote diversity in agricultural production and to combat soil erosion. The house is also architecturally significant as an intact example of the Folk Victorian style in rural Northern Pickens County. The house, originally a two story I-house with rooms on either side of a central hallway, was completed in 1895 by Barnet H. Williams with later additions and alterations in the early twentieth century by Henry G. Ligon. The house retains its original two-story plan with one-story rear additions that are subordinate in size and scale to the main house. The Folk Victorian decorative elements of spindle work, turned porch posts and balusters and brackets remain intact on the original part of the house. For more than fifty years, Ligonís farming operations on the property included cotton, corn, and wheat. Ligon raised cattle for dairy and beef production, and sowed fescue, clover, Bermuda, and other grasses for cattle grazing and to maintain the soil. The nominated area of eighty-three acres includes the main house, a ca. 1875 barn that was the original Williams house, a smokehouse, and several barns and farm buildings from the mid-twentieth century. Listed in the National Register February 8, 2012.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.