|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
J. Warren Smith House, Pickens County (21 North Palmetto St., Liberty)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Main Entrance||Right Rear Oblique||Left Rear Oblique|
The J. Warren Smith House is significant as an excellent example of an early twentieth century Colonial Revival residence and for its association with J. Warren Smith, prominent business executive and owner of Liberty Light and Power Company, the first supplier of local electricity. The house features many of the architectural characteristics typical of the Colonial Revival style, including a symmetrical fašade, prominent classical entrance and balanced window pairs. Its grand scale and quality craftsmanship convey the image of affluence and prominence befitting a man of J. Warren Smith’s import. Built in 1927, the house is a two-and-one-half-story brick veneer residence situated prominently on approximately one acre. The one-story entry porch features Doric columns clustered at the corners and paired and engaged where it meets the house. A flat roof with a low balustrade covers the porticos. The portico design is repeated in one-story porches on both sides of the house. Composite shingles form a low-pitch, hipped roof with a balustrade along the top. Listed in the National Register January 26, 2005.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.