|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Liberty Colored High School, Pickens County ( E. Main St. & Rosewood St., Liberty)
|Facade||Main Entrance||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Right Elevation|
|Right Rear Elevation||WPA Plaque|
The one-story brick, side-gabled Liberty Colored High School (Liberty Colored Junior High School, Rosewood School, Rosewood Center) was completed in 1937. It is one of the last remaining buildings in the county associated with the history of segregated education for blacks. Formal education for blacks in Liberty began as early as 1899 with students meeting in a local church, and later in a small wood-frame building. The black school was destroyed by fire in 1935. A new brick school for blacks was completed in Liberty with federal assistance from the Works Progress Administration in 1937, representing a substantial improvement in educational facilities for blacks in the county. High school grades were added in the late 1940s making it one of only two black high schools in Pickens County (served Liberty, Norris, Central, Clemson, and rural areas in between). After consolidation with the colored high school in Easley in the 1950s, and integration in 1969-70, it became an elementary school named Rosewood Elementary School. The building, later re-named Rosewood Center, was utilized by the county school district until the 1990s. As of 2002, the building is owned by the town and leased to a local church for youth activities. Listed in the National Register April 18, 2003.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.