|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hagood-Mauldin House, Pickens County (104 N. Lewis St., Pickens)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Left Elevation||Left Elevation|
|Right Elevation||Left Rear Oblique||Rear Elevation||Rear Elevation||Rear Elevation (Office)|
|Facade (Office)||Timber Floor Joists||Porch Columns||Floor Plan|
The Hagood-Mauldin House is significant for its architecture and for its association with James Earle Hagood and Judge Thomas J. Mauldin. The earliest section of the one-story frame house was built ca. 1856 in the town of Old Pickens Court House. The first owner, James Earle Hagood was a public official, lawyer, and planter of Pickens District. When Pickens District was divided into Oconee County and Pickens County in 1868, the house was disassembled, each board and beam was carefully numbered, and it was loaded onto wagons and reconstructed at its present site in the “new” town of Pickens. The original house was constructed using log beams and joists at the floor and attic, each carefully cut, fitted, and pegged. It is believed that Mr. Hagood made additions to the house shortly after 1868 and later in 1886. Judge Thomas J. Mauldin expanded the front porch to a Classical Revival style in 1904 and also added, just to the south of the house, a smaller Classical Revival style building that he used as his law office. Listed in the National Register October 9, 1997.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.