|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Clemson University Historic District #2, Pickens County (Clemson)
|Trustee House||Amphitheater||Hardin Hall||Riggs Hall||Riggs Hall, Detail|
| Sirrine Hall,
| Sirrine Hall
| Sirrine Hall
Left Wing Detail
Clemson University Historic District II includes seven historic resources (three academic buildings, a residence and associated office, and an outdoor theater) located on the Clemson University Campus. It is significant for its association with the Calhoun and Clemson families and for its association with the founding, development, and growth of Clemson University, which has played a major role in higher education in South Carolina since its founding in 1889. The district is also significant as an intact collection of late nineteenth century and early twentieth century educational buildings at a state-supported land grant university. Contributing properties include: Fort Hill (c.1830), John C. Calhoun Office (c. 1825), Hardin Hall (1890), Trustee House (1904), Riggs Hall (1927), Sirrine Hall (1938), and Outdoor Theater (1940). Styles include Renaissance Revival, Queen Anne, and Art Deco. Riggs Hall and Sirrine Hall were designed by Rudolph E. Lee, a Clemson graduate and chair of the Department of Architecture. Listed in the National Register January 4, 1990.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Clemson University Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Clemson University, c. 1803-1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.