|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Clemson College Sheep Barn, Pickens County (S. Palmetto Blvd., Clemson)
The Clemson College Sheep Barn, built c. 1915, is significant as the earliest extant and relatively intact building associated with Clemson University’s early Agricultural Department. The building’s principal section was constructed of clay brick, laid in English bond, which was probably handmade at the brick plant nearby and matches the brick of the University’s Trustee House and Kinnard Annex. It is similar in style and form to a dairy barn, the first barn on campus, which burned, was rebuilt, and later altered. The sheep barn is a single, rectangular block approximately two stories in height with a gabled, standing seam metal sheathed roof supported by simple brackets on each gable end. The roof is surmounted by three square vented cupolas, capped by pyramidal roofs with similar sheathing and ball finials. Listed in the National Register January 4, 1990.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Clemson University, c. 1803-1940 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.