|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Central High School, Pickens County (304 N. Church St., Central)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Detail Portico and Context||Floor Plan|
The Central High School is a good example of a small town, educational building rendered in the Classical Revival style. This school is significant for its role in the educational development of Pickens County and is one of the larger edifices in the community. It is also the work of a prominent architect, Christopher Gadsden Sayre, who designed many school buildings in South and North Carolina. The original portion of the building, built in 1908, is a rectangular masonry block two stories in height designed in a classical revival motif with a monumental portico dominating the fašade. Matching materials decorative elements were used in the ca. 1925 addition, which increased the number of classrooms from six to ten. The entire building is brick and rests on a brick foundation. The brick is laid in running bond with a projecting header row every fifth course. The arched entry is recessed behind a brick arch with double entry doors featuring sidelights and transoms that match the second story window transoms. The hipped standing seam metal roof is surmounted by a cupola with lunette vents. The later addition takes advantage of the sloping site to incorporate a full basement below the water table. Listed in the National Register May 20, 1994.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.