South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Willow Consolidated High School, Orangeburg County (2750 Cope Rd., Norway)
S1081773803701 S1081773803702 S1081773803703 S1081773803704 S1081773803705
Facade Left Oblique Rear Elevation Right Rear
Oblique
Right Elevation
S1081773803706 S1081773803707 S1081773803708 S1081773803709 S1081773803710
Interior
Hallway
Interior
Classroom
Interior
Auditorium
Agricultural Building
Facade
Agricultural Building
Rear Elevation

The Willow Consolidated High School, built 1926, is significant as an excellent example of school architecture typical in small American towns in the first half of the twentieth century. It is an especially intact, distinctive, and tangible expression of the movement toward consolidation of schools in rural areas of South Carolina and the South. This school, built for the white high school students of Norway and the surrounding communities, served the town as its high school until the 1960-61 school year, when it became Norway Junior High School. In 1973 it became Norway Middle School; it closed in the late 1980s and has been vacant since. The school is an inverted “T” shaped one-story brick veneer building with an auditorium located at the center of the rear elevation and the administrative/classroom section in the front section. The building contains 12,250 square feet. It features a raised wood frame floor structure and wood frame walls. The original slate roof has been replaced with composition shingles. The roof form is gable-on-hip with projecting cross gables at the center and ends of the building’s fašade. An agriculture building (1940) on the southeast side of the campus also contributes to the historic and architectural significance of the property. It is a wooden frame building with a V-crimp metal roof, gable front and arched entrance. Listed in the National Register July 11, 2006.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.