South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

South Carolina State College Historic District, Orangeburg County (300 College St., Orangeburg)
S1081773803401 S1081773803402 S1081773803403 S1081773803404 S1081773803405
Lowman Hall Marion Birnie
Wilkinson YWCA Hut
Center Court Hodge Hall Home Management
S1081773803406 S1081773803407 S1081773803408 S1081773803409 S1081773803410
Miller Hall Wilkinson Hall Industrial
Arts Building
Power House
and Smoke Stack
Moss Hall

(South Carolina State University Historic District) The South Carolina State College Historic District is the core of the historic campus at South Carolina State University. It is significant as a tangible illustration of the evolution of the college from a primarily vocational and technical institution to a more comprehensive institution of higher education, as an institution of central significance to South Carolina African Americans, and architecturally as a concentration of twentieth-century Classical Revival collegiate architecture. The district consists of eleven buildings, one landscape feature, and one object historically associated with the university. Constructed between 1917 and 1969, they are a central visual feature of a campus that has undergone numerous changes and significant expansion in the latter half of the twentieth century. The Colored Normal, Industrial, Agricultural and Mechanical College of South Carolina – after 1954, South Carolina State College, and since 1992, South Carolina State University – was established in 1896 “for the higher education of the colored youth of the state” by an act of the South Carolina General Assembly. Listed in the National Register June 19, 1997.

View a map showing the boundaries of the South Carolina State College Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the Civil Rights Movement in Orangeburg County, 1955-1971 and the Historic Resources of Orangeburg, ca. 1850-1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.