|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
William P. Stroman House, Orangeburg County (1017 N. Boulevard, Orangeburg)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation||Right Elevation|
The William P. Stroman House is significant as a fine example of late Neo-Classical residential architecture. The architectural firm of Lafaye and Lafaye designed the house. Based in Columbia, Lafaye and Lafaye were recognized as one of the state’s leading architectural firms at the time. They designed many significant public and private structures throughout South Carolina, including buildings at the State Hospital for the Insane in Columbia and the State Training School in Clinton. The firm was active in Orangeburg designing other Neo-Classical structures such as the First National Bank Building and the Dr. E.O. Horger House, located across the street from the Stroman House. The house, constructed in 1926, includes numerous elements of Neo-Classical design such as a symmetrical arrangement, a full-height porch, Doric columns, a pediment, cornices with dentils and a Greek Revival entrance. It is a brick residence with a roof of Spanish tiles. Included on the property are two contributing outbuildings, a garage and a greenhouse. Listed in the National Register August 1, 1996.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.