|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Orangeburg Downtown Historic District, Orangeburg County (Orangeburg)
|161 Russell St.||143 Russell St.||140 Russell St.||136 Russell St.||128 Russell St.|
|124 Russell St.||117 Russell St.||116 Russell St.||112 Russell St.||111-115 Russell St.|
|108 Russell St.||138 Middleton St.|| Orangeburg City
222 Middleton St.
| Fire Department
268 Middleton St.
| Fireman's Statue
268 Middleton St.
|355 St. John's St.|
|Page 2 of 2|
The Orangeburg Downtown Historic District is significant as a very intact collection of resources which were important in the commercial, industrial, architectural, governmental and social history of Orangeburg during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. A majority of the buildings in the district were built between ca. 1883 and ca. 1925 when Orangeburg underwent tremendous growth. The district is a collection of forty-four buildings and one structure and consists of store buildings, Orangeburg’s first textile mill, a livery stable, a statue, two churches, a post office, two lodge halls, and a brick paved street. Buildings in the district are constructed mainly of brick and display various architectural characteristics of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, including Romanesque Revival, Victorian, and Neo-Classical. Listed in the National Register September 20, 1985.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.