|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hodge Hall, Orangeburg County (South Carolina State University Campus, Orangeburg)
|Left Oblique||Main Entrance||Right Elevation|| Decorative
Hodge Hall is significant as part of the expanding education capability of South Carolina State College. It is also significant as a competent Palladian design by architect Miller F. Whittaker, the director of the college’s mechanical arts department. Hodge Hall is a substantial brick building, built for the college’s agriculture and home economics departments. The design and supervision of the building’s construction were requirements for the fulfillment of Whittaker’s Master of Science degree from the architectural department of Kansas Agricultural College (professional architectural training was not then available for blacks in South Carolina). Whittaker was the state’s first registered African American architect. The two-story, stretcher bond brick building with a full basement, a flat roof and a parapet was constructed in 1928. S.C. State College students helped erect Hodge Hall. The building is nine bays wide and features a concrete water table, a corbeled concrete belt course, a concrete cornice, and original cast-iron lamps at the front entrance. The entrance is sheltered by a flat-roofed portico with paired fluted columns and pilaster responds. There are two, very large, modern brick additions on the rear of the building, but Hodge Hall retains its historical and architectural integrity. Listed in the National Register September 20, 1985.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Orangeburg, ca. 1850-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.