South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Major John Hammond Fordham House, Orangeburg County (415 Boulevard, Orangeburg)
S1081773801801 S1081773801802 S1081773801803 S1081773801804 S1081773801805
Facade Main Entrance Front Gable
Detail
Right Oblique Right Elevation
S1081773801806 S1081773801807      
Left Oblique Left Rear
Oblique

The Major John Hammond Fordham House reflects the achievements of the original owner. Fordham was a lawyer and prominent citizen of Orangeburg, who was able to take advantage of expanded opportunities for African American South Carolinians in the period between the end of the Civil War and the disfranchisement and Jim Crow legislation of the turn of the century. Besides practicing law, Fordham served in several appointive governmental positions and was a leader in the Republican Party in the state. The house is also significant as an example of the work of William Wilson Cooke, a pioneer African American architect. Built in 1903, the one-and-a-half story framed Victorian cottage residence has a pyramidal roof with two tall brick chimneys. The basicly square plan has a projecting gabled ell with a polygonal bay on the north side of the fašade. A bracketed cornice and a rooftop balustrade are carried around the bay. The gable end has shingle siding and an oval attic window. A porch with paired colonettes on brick bases shelters the fašade. Listed in the National Register September 20, 1985.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Orangeburg, ca. 1850-ca. 1935 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.